Thursday, April 17, 2014

On the road again....

I have been back on the road for Nuffield '14 for just over a week now and I am back in Australia.  This past week I have had a series of meetings for work to attend to and not much time for Nuffield.  However, I had the opportunity, as part of those work necessities, to attend the Sydney Royal Easter Show, which I have always wanted to see.  What a fantastic event, nothing at home even compares to it.  It was wonderful to see fall shows being hosted outdoors on green grass, we were excited last year at Agribition that it was only -5 degrees celsius.  My full report is available on the Canadian Angus blog.

I am spending the holiday weekend in the Northern Territory in Alice Springs and Uluru.  As I was leaving Sydney yesterday I finally heard the schedule for the Royal Australia Visit; apparently I am just a week ahead of Will & Kate as they are taking in the Royal Easter show this week and Uluru next week.  I was staying at Glenferrie Lodge (which I highly recommend) on Sydney's North Shore while I was there last weekend and Admiral House (Australia's Governor General's residence) where they are staying while in Sydney was just down the street.  It would have been fun to be there when they were in town but I guess there is always next time.  The Royal visit has stirred up the talks surrounding Australia's status as a Constitutional Monarchy (as is Canada) and it has been very interesting to hear the radio commentary on the issue.  The polls reported on many radio stations are favouring staying as they are.  But it makes we wonder, will Canada will ever become a republic or do we need to?  It seems to me that after all this time, why bother now?

No comments:

Post a Comment