Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hey, Ontario…I’m back!

I am embarking on another great adventure.  Being a Nuffield Scholar has a way of putting some crazy ideas in your head.  I have heard that people have gotten divorced after being named a scholar, others have completely changed their operation production model and/or sector of interest.  I, in contrast have decided to move back to Ontario from Calgary and take over the family farm along with my sister.  As of this past weekend I am once again living in the farm house where I grew up near Oakwood, Ontario.  It has been 12 years since I last lived here.

Blame it on Nuffield, blame it on a need for a change, blame it on a recent run of motivation speakers I have heard talk about following your dreams, or just blame it on the fact that primary production agriculture is the best job in the world.  There have been a number of factors that have lead to this decision.

There is no time better than now to be embarking on a career in agriculture.  Markets are strong, optimism is high and there are many people my age getting back into or taking a leading role in their own family operations.  Not to mention that the world is starting to take notice of Canadian agriculture like never before.  Initiatives like Farm Voices and #farm365 are inspiring and had me thinking over the past year about ways to get back to the farm.  I have been sitting behind a desk for almost nine years now and I was ready for a change.  Luckily, I have the support of a wonderful family, great friends and an understanding boss who is letting me keep my job and work remotely from Ontario.  The timing couldn’t have been better for me to seize this opportunity and embark on a this new adventure.  Am I scared?  Of course, but wise advice once told me to not let fear stand in my way.  


My Nuffield travels continue shortly when I head off to South America for a six week voyage through Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.  Stay tuned as I explore agriculture on another continent and work toward finishing my Nuffield study and navigate these new waters.  In the words of Debbie Travis; Dream it. Do it. Live it!

No comments:

Post a Comment