Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Mourne Mountains


The past two days were spent in Newcastle in the shadow of the Mourne's. This section of the trail was 42 km through the mountains with no place to stay along the way.  We decided to just do day hikes up there instead of tackling the entire thing. The first day we hiked up Slieve Donard at 853 m it is the highest peak in the mountain range. The ocean views were incredible as well as seeing the Mourne Wall which encircles 15 mountain summits and stands 8 m tall; built originally in the 1920's to keep sheep and cattle out of the water networks in the mountains.

Today was a rest day for me to nurse my bad feet and ankles and Lisa did another short day hike up another mountain. Newcastle has been one of my favourite places so far and we still have half the trip to go.  By my calculation I have hiked 265 km (approximately) so far.

The Mourne's from the Newcastle promenade
The Mourne Wall from 3/4 the way up

No comments:

Post a Comment