Saturday, August 17, 2013

Canadian Connection



The other day I badly needed a rest day (more information on injuries to come) and Lisa didn't so she went hiking on a popular section of the trail and I spent the day sightseeing as a typical tourist. I started the day by heading to Rostrevor, which is officially on route as the end of the Mourne Mountain section but we missed it since we only dayhiked through the Mourne's.  Rostrevor isn't a big town but I wanted to go and see the Ross Monument and pay my respects.  This monument stands on the land where General Ross originally from the town planned to build his retirement home.  The General died while in Canada and never had the chance. He is most famous for his role in the war of 1812.  It was General Ross who led the British Army on a march to Washington, driving the President into hiding and it was Ross who oversaw the burning of the White House. Rumour has it that Ross finished the President's breakfast before burning the residence. That was the battle which also inspired "The Star Spangled Banner" a fact that is emphasized here as opposed to Canada's freedom.

The Ross Monument




On another note many Irish people we have met are very familiar with Canada and have been there recently or know someone who has immigrated for work.  Perhaps because of this a handful of a local convenience store chains called Spar actually sell Tim Horton's coffee and baked goods, which is pretty cool.  I haven't tried it if you are wondering as once this trip already I had to break my no American chain restaurant rule and I'd rather not do it twice

Pictures to follow if I can get them off my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment